Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I feel like my work has changed quite a bit lately. Nothing I make is disgusting or gory, but there is a sense of disturbance. I guess my main goal in fixating on death - as that seems to be a reoccurring theme in my pieces - is the hope that people will come to terms with the idea of dying. As a culture, we tend to fear death, to see it has a depressing end to a short life. But, maybe its something more. This doesn't really make sense but it is a way to get a different reaction out of people. I don't really feel like I should post a picture with this post...

1 comment:

  1. haha thanks for not posting a picture Mariah =)also i think the idea of coming to terms with death is very interesting however i think (and this is a side note) that people do not usually come to terms with death until their older. Now going back to your art, as you know i am in love with it, it would be interesting if you could some how incorporate and "after life" with your pieces, exploring more of the "something more" you mentioned in you blog post. =) i am also excited to see how you glaze/stain your pieces. ALSO I painted 2.85 more trees on my wall. the .85 tree is almost done but the top was too far for me to reach and i was too lazy to get a ladder =)

    ReplyDelete